Thank you for choosing to book a Love Story video with 10th Letter Media! We look forward to telling your story, but first here are some ways to prepare for your upcoming video shoot, along with some sample questions to give you an idea of what to expect for the interviews. We are happy to discuss your ideas in more detail at your planning consultation! Happy planning!
ABOUT THE LOVE STORY VIDEO: A Love Story is a video, about 6 to 10 minutes, that showcases your journey as a couple through single and joint interviews and commentary. It typically includes you, the couple, interacting in 1-2 different locations–sharing a favorite activity perhaps, enjoying a tasty treat, or even just hanging out among beautiful scenery–with commentary on special moments throughout your relationship.
- Choose places that have meaning to you when selecting locations for filming. We also suggest thinking outside the box: the beach or a park makes for beautiful scenery, but an ice cream shop or an indoor rock-climbing wall would also be super fun and very visually exciting! We can suggest a bunch of locations at our planning consultation that may suit your personality.
- Account for enough time to get permission. Please also note that some places, particularly shops or places of business, usually require permission to film in their establishment. We are happy to check if filming is allowed in any particular establishment you may be considering.
- Consider sound or other distractions. If you prefer an outdoor setting for your couple video, we ask that you also select a quieter indoor location for filming the interviews where wind, ocean waves, and other ambient sounds won’t get in the way of us capturing clear audio.
ACTIVITIES, PROPS, AND MORE:
- Sometimes couples like to incorporate something that is meaningful to them or their relationship. It may be a passion for an activity or sport that they share; it may be a memento from a first date or other memorable moment; or even a pet or favorite photos. Couples can also choose to incorporate certain props that will make the video more visually dynamic–balloons, pinwheels, an umbrella, a colorful bouquet of flowers, a fancy chair or couch, are all examples of objects that can add visual depth to your video.
- Make your love story even more meaningful by including personal messages to each other. We can film your message privately so your partner doesn’t see it until the wedding day. Maybe you want to express your emotions as you approach your married life together; or include a message to your friends and family thanking them for their support throughout your relationship and as you approach marriage.
FAMILY/FRIEND INTERVIEWS: A Love Story is about your journey as a couple, and who better to add to the story than your close friends and family? Include your maid of honor and best man, your parents, your best friend. Have them contribute with funny stories or heartfelt memories. Some sample questions for family/friends are:
- How do you know Bride or Groom?
- Any special memories?
- Do you remember the couple’s first meeting?
- What did you think when you first met the partner?
- Describe how they are perfect for each other.
- Did he/she tell you anything about the proposal?
- How did you feel when you found out they were engaged?
- What are you most looking forward to on their wedding day?
TIPS FOR FILMING:
- Plan your answers separately! This will make your commentary more dynamic, so that we don’t have the exact same version of the story. It makes for a very fun video to see pieces of his version and pieces of her version! You will be interviewed separately so that you don’t feel the pressure while your partner is watching, and to avoid “That’s not the way it happened!”
- Know what you’re going to say, but deliver naturally! You’ve told the story of how you met a thousand times, so don’t sweat it! Over-planning may lead to a “rehearsed” appearance on-camera. You want to appear natural so that your guests, the viewers, really recognize you as the unique, fun couple that you are!
- Elaborate on your answers! No one-word or one sentence answers, please! Tell your story as if you were telling it to a friend. Be descriptive! If you remember the color of her dress or what restaurant he took you to, please tell us! The details are what make your love story video personal and heart-felt, not to mention lots of fun to watch!
- Complete sentences please! This one may seem like a no-brainer, but please give your answers in full sentences. “My favorite quality about John is his sense of humor.” versus “His sense of humor.” Full sentences, instead of little phrases, just works better in the editing process and for those who are viewing the video too.
SAMPLE QUESTIONS FOR COUPLE: These questions are meant to be a guide for what you will be asked on film. In the planning consultation, feel free to add, subtract, or adjust these questions to your liking!
- How did you first meet?
- What drew you to your partner?
- Describe your partner. What qualities do you love about him/her?
- Describe some of your favorite moments or memories together.
- When did you realize he/she was the one?
- How did he/she propose?
- What are you looking forward to the most on your wedding day?
- What are your feelings, hopes, aspirations for your marriage?